Easy butternut squash soup recipe
Makes 6 servings.
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 large yellow onion, chopped
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. ground black pepper
1 (3-lb.) butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tbsp. chopped fresh sage
½ Tbsp. minced fresh rosemary
1 tsp. grated fresh ginger
4 cups vegetable broth
Optional garnishes: chopped parsley, toasted pepitas
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion, salt and pepper. Sauté until soft, 5-8 minutes.
- Add the squash, cook until it begins to soften, stirring occasionally, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add the garlic, sage, rosemary and ginger. Stir and cook 30 seconds to 1 minute, until ginger is fragrant. Add broth. Bring to a boil.
- Cover, and reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer until squash is fork tender, about 20-30 minutes.
- Let cool slightly and pour the soup into a blender, working in batches, and blend until smooth. You may also use an immersion blender.
- Serve with garnishes, if desired.
Nutrition analysis per serving: 150 calories, 5 g fat, 3 g protein, 26 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 650 mg sodium