Makes 8 servings
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 2 Tbsp. chili powder
- 2 (15 oz.) cans diced tomatoes, no salt added
- 1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 1 (15 oz.) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained well
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained well
- 1 (15 oz.) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained well
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups uncooked macaroni noodles
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Heat oil in a large (five quart) pot over medium heat and sauté onion and garlic for two to three minutes. Add flour and chili powder to the pot; stir and sauté for about two minutes. Add the beans, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, corn and vegetable broth to the pot. Stir to combine. Add the uncooked macaroni noodles and stir.
Place lid on pot and turn up heat so that the mixture comes to a boil. Once it reaches a boil, turn heat down to low so that it continues to gently simmer. Simmer for 12-15 minutes or until the pasta is tender and the liquid thickens up. Stir it frequently to make sure the pasta doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pot. Once pasta is cooked, add the shredded cheese and stir in until melted. Enjoy with a tossed salad on the side.
Nutrition analysis per serving: 400 calories, 8 g fat, 20 g protein, 64 g carbohydrate, 10 g fiber, 635 mg sodium
Do juice cleanses really work?
How to get more vitamin C
Fresh ideas for fruit
Fruit and yogurt parfaits