Mushroom sauce recipe
Makes 4 servings
- ½ cup dried shiitake or other mushroom soaked in 1 cup hot water for 20 minutes
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 3 Tbsp. yellow onion, minced
- 1 cup baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 ½ cups low sodium vegetable stock or broth
- 1 Tbsp. low sodium soy sauce
- Salt and pepper
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch dissolved in 2 tablespoons water
Drain the mushrooms, reserving soaking liquid. Strain the liquid and set aside. Chop the mushrooms and remove stems.
Heat the olive oil in a medium size saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions, cover and cook for 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cover, cook for an additional 2 minutes. Add the both the mushrooms and cook for two minutes.
Stir in stock, soy sauce and soaking liquid and season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low. Whisk in the cornstarch mixture and cook until thickened, stirring constantly. This should take about 2-3 minutes.
Nutrition analysis per serving: 60 calories, 3.5 g fat, 1 g protein, 6 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 200 mg sodium