Makes 2 cups
- ½ lb. beets (about 1-2 whole large beets), scrubbed, leaves removed
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 5 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp. lemon zest (zest from approximately 2 lemons)
- Generous pinch of sea salt or kosher salt
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
Place beets in about ¼-inch of water in a 375°F oven, and cook until a fork or knife can be easily inserted. (This process can be done in the microwave by carefully poking holes in the beet flesh with a fork and wrapping in a paper towel. Microwave on high for 3-5 minutes). Place slightly cooled beets and all remaining ingredients in a food processor or blender and pulse until smooth. Adjust seasoning to taste. Chill and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or freeze for longer storage. Serve with crackers or pita chips.
Analysis per ¼ cup serving: 30 calories, 2.5 g fat, 3 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 0 g protein, 45 mg sodium
Is dark chocolate good for you?
Chocolate cherry baked oatmeal recipe
Do juice cleanses really work?
How to get more vitamin C