2020 Healthy Aging Conference - Preventing and Managing Chronic Pain
Free virtual event! Registration is required.
Conference Purpose: To educate and raise awareness about chronic pain and the actions we can take to help others along their journey.
8:15-9:15: Chronic Pain, Aging and the Mind, a Multidimensional Approach - Anna Kelly, MD, Gundersen Health System
- Chronic pain is a challenge for patients, family, as well as the healthcare system. Yet we know that there is a solution! In this talk, we will explore the relationship between chronic pain, aging and the mind, and explore tools for recovery from the suffering of chronic pain. Since pain is a multidimensional experience, a multidimensional approach is necessary, even in a culture of quick fixes.
9:30-10:30: Managing Chronic Pain with Prescription and Alternative Medications - Pharmacist: Cass St Pharmacy Gundersen Health System
- This presentation will look at available prescription and over the counter (OTC) medications that are used to manage different types of pain including inflammation, neuropathic (nerve), or pain related to injury. We will also explore the potential benefits and safety concerns with alternative products.
10:30-11:30: Conserve your Energy for the Important Things in Life - Christie Harris, Wellness Education Specialist, Gundersen Health System
- Ever have those days when your pain leaves you feeling drained and exhausted? Science has shown that the mind and the body are interconnected in the experience of pain. Our mind has an important influence over our body. Our emotions, feelings and thoughts directly influence our pain and how it affects us. We will discuss things we can do to help save our energy by learning ways to manage our pain and allowing us a chance to enjoy the things important to us.
11:30 - noon: Wrap-up and closing
Who should attend:
- RNs, LPNs, certified nursing assistants, resident care assistants, social workers at all levels, recreational therapists, health educators, administrators
- Case managers
- Care coordinators
- Home care providers
- Long-term care facility employees
- Family care network providers
- Service referred agency staﬀ (i.e. Aging Unit, ADRC)
- Family or professional caregivers
- Anyone interested in learning more about healthy aging, specifically related to chronic pain
The conference link will be sent in an email prior to the conference start.