Caregiving can be a challenge, but it's easier when you're prepared.
ARE YOU A CAREGIVER?
Like many people, you may not realize you're a caregiver. You might think of what you do as simply helping someone important to you. If you do any of the following, the Powerful Tools for Caregivers workshop is for you:
- Help someone with their medication
- Grocery shopping for or with someone
- Take someone to doctor visits and interpret medical instructions
- Check on dietary needs
- Manage cleaning, laundry and other household chores
- Care for someone who doesn't live with you
- Provide care of support for someone in your home, in theirs or in a facility
WHAT IS POWERFUL TOOLS FOR CAREGIVERS?
Powerful Tools for Caregivers is a six-week workshop that teaches you how to take care of yourself while caring for someone else. By taking care of your own physical, emotional and financial needs, you become a better caregiver.
Are you helping a spouse, partner, parent or friend? Someone who lives at a home or in a nursing facility? Someone close by or across the country? This program will help you cope with the challenges that come with your role as a caregiver.
THE WORKSHOP GIVES YOU THE TOOLS TO:
- Reduce stress, guilt, anger and depression
- Manage your time, set goals and solve problems
- Master caregiving transitions
- Make tough decisions
- Communicate effectively with the person needing care, family members, healthcare professionals and paid helpers.
When you register, you'll receive a book to help you:
- Recognize changes in someone who may need extra assistance
- Hire in-home help
- Recognize and understand depression
- Make decisions about driving
- Help memory-impaired elders
Location: Black River Beach Neighborhood Center, 1433 Rose Street, La Crosse, WI
Classes are held Wednesdays starting on July 7 through Aug. 14.