Caregiving can be a challenge, but it's easier when you're prepared.
ARE YOU A CAREGIVER?
Like many people, you may not realize you're a caregiver. You might think of what you do as simply helping someone important to you. If you do any of the following, the Powerful Tools for Caregivers workshop is for you:
- Help someone with their medication
- Grocery shopping for or with someone
- Take someone to doctor visits and interpret medical instructions
- Check on dietary needs
- Manage cleaning, laundry and other household chores
- Care for someone who doesn't live with you
- Provide care of support for someone in your home, in theirs or in a facility
WHAT IS POWERFUL TOOLS FOR CAREGIVERS?
Powerful Tools for Caregivers is a six-week workshop that teaches you how to take care of yourself while caring for someone else. By taking care of your own physical, emotional and financial needs, you become a better caregiver.
Are you helping a spouse, partner, parent or friend? Someone who lives at a home or in a nursing facility? Someone close by or across the country? This program will help you cope with the challenges that come with your role as a caregiver.
THE WORKSHOP GIVES YOU THE TOOLS TO:
- Reduce stress, guilt, anger and depression
- Manage your time, set goals and solve problems
- Master caregiving transitions
- Make tough decisions
- Communicate effectively with the person needing care, family members, healthcare professionals and paid helpers.
When you register, you'll receive a book to help you:
- Recognize changes in someone who may need extra assistance
- Hire in-home help
- Recognize and understand depression
- Make decisions about driving
- Help memory-impaired elders
This 6 week class will be held at Havenwood of Onalaska in the Community Room. Address is 3770 Emerald Drive East, Onalaska.
Class meets each Thursday morning from February 20 to March 27 from 10 to 11:30 a.m.