Improving your mental well-being
Feeling good about ourselves and the world around us is directly connected to our mental well-being. It helps us get the most from our lives, improves our physical health and helps us achieve the goals we set for ourselves. Evidence suggests there are five steps we can all take to improve our mental well-being. If you approach these steps with an open mind and genuinely give them a try, the results can be life-changing.
5 steps to mental well-being
- Connect. Find time to connect virtually or social distance and develop relationships with the people around you – family or friends
- Be active. Take a nice walk, rollerblade, or ride your bike. Find the activity that you enjoy and make it a part of your life.
- Keep learning. Learning new skills can give you a sense of achievement and a new confidence. Why not sign up for that online course, learn to play a musical instrument or learn a new hobby?
- Give to others. A small or large act of kindness can make a positive difference for someone else and increase your own mental well-being, too. Whether it's a smile, a thank you or dedicating time as a volunteer, seeing others' happiness naturally increases our own.
- Take notice. Be more aware of the present moment, including your feelings and thoughts, your body and the world around you. This mindfulness can positively change the way you feel about life and how you approach challenges.