How to fit a life jacket properly
Summertime calls for water activities. It's important to be safe at the pool or when boating during these summer months. According to the CDC (2016) drownings are the leading source of death for children ages 1 to 14, and three children die every day as a result of drowning.
Here are some tips to fit a life jacket properly:
- Choose a US Coast Guard approved life jacket that is right for your child's weight and water activity
- Fasten all straps, zippers and buckles for a snug fit
- Check the fit by lifting the jacket up at the shoulders
- If it hits the child's chin or ears, it's too big
- Make sure you monitor your child when swimming even if he or she is wearing a life jacket
Our Slide Into Safety program ensures children to have the knowledge and skills necessary to stay safe over the summer months.