February is American Heart Month
Heart disease is the leading cause of death for both men and women. To prevent heart disease and increase awareness of its effects, Gundersen Health System participates in American Heart Month. We also encourage everyone to be heart smart—talk with your healthcare team about your risk for heart disease and how to practice heart healthy living habits all year 'round.
Start by making healthy changes to lower your risk of heart disease, such as:
- Manage your weight
- Don't smoke and avoid secondhand smoke
- Know your numbers—cholesterol, blood pressure and blood sugar—and work with your doctor to keep them in check
- Drink alcohol only in moderation
- Get active
- Eat healthy
Learn more about heart health
When it comes to your heart's health, knowledge is power. The more you know about your risk factors, the more power you have to take steps to live a heart-healthy lifestyle.
Here are couple more easy things you can do:
- Get Heart Smart, our free online newsletter about heart healthy living. Find articles, tips, videos, recipes and more on a variety of heart topics from a source you can trust.
- Visit the heart care section of our new website to request an appointment, ask a question, get a second opinion and so much more.
And if you need help getting heart healthy, turn to Gundersen where we've been healing hearts for more than 50 years.