6 tips to support new parents during COVID-19
If you have a friend or family member who recently had a baby, they're likely adjusting to their new family dynamic—a transition that looks a little different for many moms and dads amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
Here are some thoughtful, creative ways you can safely offer your support and show them you care, even if you can't be with them physically.
- Reach out by simply asking your friend or family member how you can help. Everyone has different needs and comfort levels, especially right now.
- Purchase a non-perishable gift and drop it in the mail or bring it to their home. Leave it outside for them in lieu of preparing them a meal.
- Send them a gift card to one of their favorite restaurants—even better if the restaurant delivers or offers curbside takeout.
- Help set up a cleaning service. Since you're probably not going into their home to help them with laundry, dishes or other household chores, this can provide some much-needed relief for families with a newborn.
- Send flowers or a house plant to say congratulations and brighten their day.
- Schedule a virtual visit or consider sitting outside together, socially distancing with 6 feet between each person.
Whatever you decide, be sure to run your idea past the parent/s first to make everyone feel more comfortable.