6 tips for a healthy new year
In our fast-paced world, it's easy to overlook the task of self-care. As the new year begins, make a resolution to take time to fuel yourself as you bustle through your day.
According to Dan Sutton, MD, family medicine physician at Gundersen Holmen Clinic, "Adopting and maintaining a healthy lifestyle can help prevent obesity, high blood sugar, high cholesterol and high blood pressure, which are risk factors for diabetes, kidney disease and heart disease."
A healthy lifestyle is a way of living based on your daily choices regarding physical activity, nutrition, stress management and mental health.
Six daily practices to help fuel you and lead a healthier lifestyle
- Get seven to eight hours of quality sleep. Not enough sleep can lower your immune system.
- Eat a nutritious, well-balanced diet that includes plenty of nutrient-rich fruits and vegetables.
- Add regular physical activity. Getting 30 minutes of moderate exercise a day can help lower blood pressure, manage weight and protect against some diseases.
- Focus on spending time with people who fill you up, not leave you feeling drained.
- Manage your stress. Take some time to quiet your mind and try spending 30 seconds taking a slow deep breath.
- Don't smoke. If you use any tobacco products, make a plan to quit in 2020. Using tobacco products weakens your body's natural ability to avoid and fight infections.
These basic daily practices are the foundation for managing your resilience and boosting your energy.