Days and Times tested: Monday through Friday, 8 am-4 pm
Obtain an adequate sampling from the anal- rectal canal using a cytobrush or Dacron (not cotton) swab.
Lubricants which may interfere with the processing and interpretation of the specimen should not be used prior to obtaining the cytology sample.
- Insert the cytobrush or water moistened Dacron swab into the anal canal until resistance is not met.
- Rotate the cytobrush or swab 360 degrees while gentle pressure is applied to the walls of the anal canal as the brush or swab is gradually withdrawn.
- Immediately rinse the cytobrush or swab in the ThinPrep PreservCyt Solution by rotating the collection device in the solution 10 times while pushing against the PreservCyt vial wall. Swirl the brush vigorously to further release material.
- Discard brush or swab.
- Tighten the cap so that the torque line on the cap passes the torque line on the vial.
- Label specimen container with a pre-printed label or write legibly. Information included on the label requirement are: full patient name, medical record number or date of birth, date of collection.
- Place labeled container in a specimen transport bag.