Wabasha, MN 55981
Love + medicine is who we are, it's what we do, it's why people want to work here. If you’re looking for a job to love, apply today.
Schedule Weekly Hours:32
Job Profile Summary
Assists physician as scrub person according to prescribed standards. Assist RN in performing circulating duties as directed. Functions under direct supervision of a circulating nurse and physician. Display understanding of anatomy and physiology, the pathological condition affecting the patient, the planned operative procedure and consider any variations that may be necessary to meet the needs of a specific patient. Patient population to include neonate, pediatric, adult, and geriatric. Good interpersonal and analytical skills. Ability to concentrate and pay close attention to detail for up to 80% of work time when performing technical tasks and anticipating surgeon's needs.
The surgical technologist will also be responsible for maintaining high standards for decontamination assembly, inspecting, wrapping, and sterilization of surgical instruments and medical equipment for Surgical Services and all Ancillary departments. This includes working in conjunction with the OR staff to provide timely sterile products, trays and case carts where applicable. The surgical technologist maintains consistency and continuous workflow while practicing excellent customer service.
- Assists and anticipates needs of surgeon and surgical team by passing instrumentation, equipment and supplies accurately and quickly.
- Predicting the needs of the patient and surgeon and preparing necessary items for cases. Demonstrates working knowledge of instruments/equipment used in surgical procedures.
- Utilizes personal protective equipment. Assisting in the clean up of the room between procedures. Making necessary preparations for subsequent procedures and for the next days procedures, including restocking, supplying and coordinating materials required for use on procedures (may include documentation of usage).
- Directly responsible for maintaining aseptic integrity during the surgical procedure. Organizes sterile field for use, opens sterile supplies scrubbing and donning sterile gowns and gloves. Maintains correct account of sponges, needles, blades, and instruments with circulating RN per hospital SOP. Assist team members during entry to sterile field. Expose the operative site with sterile drapes.
- Actively participates in 'time out' procedure per hospital policy. Maintains proper handling of operative specimens for laboratory analysis/delivery to lab. Follows established specimen log for both OR and Lab.
- Prepares medications under the direct supervision of circulating RN
- Assists RN in performing circulating duties as directed. Performs other job-related responsibilities as requested to facilitate the smooth operation of department.
- Precepting newly employed Surgical Technologists, assistants and RN's.
- Maintain quality control by monitoring, reading, documenting, and interpreting, all parameters for all types of sterilizers to insure proper function. (Including but not limited to Steam and Steris
- Maintain system and department competencies by attending department meetings, in-services, and annual updates.
- Maintain quality assurance by correctly utilizing biological monitoring applicable sterilization event.
- Demonstrate accountability by providing high quality customer service, through communication and service to the surgical staff and peers.
- Inspect all instruments and reusable items visually and manually. Isolate all items needing repair.
- Review departmental policies and procedures by reviewing the manuals.
- Order and puts away supplies and linens upon request as needed. Pick surgical case carts by following established Surgeons Preference Cards or Procedural Pick list/requisition.
- Perform correct and appropriate data entry, understand and utilize computers for generating data and requisitioning goods.
- Answer department phone in professional, helpful manner by maintaining communication skills appropriate in a professional setting.
- Dispose of all biohazard products per departmental procedures.
- Assist with development or modifications in all supply system, instrumentation, and services as needed.
- Rotate assignments through sterilization, decontamination, assembly.
- Work with high-level disinfectants and cleaning solutions and read and interpret appropriate MSDS accordingly.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
Education and Learning:
Completion of a Surgical Technician Program
REQUIRED No experience required.
License and Certifications:
DESIRED Certified Surgical Technologist (CST) certification within 2 years of hire date Current Infant-Adult Basic Life Support for Health Care Providers (with hands on learning) from one of the following programs: American Heart Association or American Red Cross.
Age Specific Population Served:
Infant (less than 1 year)
Pediatric (1 - 12 years)
Adolescent (13 - 17 years)
Adult (18 - 64 years)
Geriatric (65 years & older)
OSHA Category: Category I - All Employees in this job title have a reasonably anticipated risk of occupational exposure to blood and/or other potentially infectious materials.
Exposed to infectious diseases.
Physical Requirements/Demands Of The Position:
Static Standing Frequently (34-66% or 5.5 hours)
Stooping/Bending Frequently (34-66% or 5.5 hours)
Squatting Frequently (34-66% or 5.5 hours)
Lifting - Other Frequently (34-66% or 5.5 hours)
Number of lbs 25-50
Push/Pull (Static Force) Occasionally (6-33% or 3 hours)
Number of lbs 50-75
If you need assistance with any portion of the application or have questions about the position, please contact [email protected] or call 608-775-0267
Equal Opportunity Employer