La Crosse, WI 54601
Love + medicine is who we are, it's what we do, it's why people want to work here. If you’re looking for a job to love, apply today.
Schedule Weekly Hours:36
The Medical Assistant, while working within the scope of only those acts which are delegated by the supervising physician or Registered Nurse, functions as an advocate to the patient. They assist in meeting the individual and age- specific needs of the patients and families/significant others. This responsibility includes the provisions of compassionate, safe and competent direct patient care as delegated by the physician or Registered Nurse. They receive daily direction and provide daily organizational support for the physician and team. They use effective and authentic communication skills while interacting with patients, families/significant others and all members of the healthcare team.
The Medical Assistant works under the supervision of a physician, while having a direct reporting relationship to a Clinical Manager. The supervising physician will have an opportunity to give formal feedback on the Medical Assistant's competencies and performance measures annually.
1. Demonstrates professional accountability by maintaining skill competency in the following:
- Rooms the patient and obtains and documents vital signs, chief complaint and history; reviews and documents medication history, including discrepancies;
- Administers and documents treatments;
- Assists the physician/RN in performing and documenting tests and procedures;
- Verifies new and refill prescriptions; contacts pharmacies;
- Uses the electronic medical record proficiently; transmits information electronically;
- Gathers and documents objective information during phone interactions and shares with physician and/or RN, who determines care;
- Maintains sterile technique, body substance isolation and infection control precautions when required;
- Incorporates and documents patient/family readiness to learn when reinforcing teaching initiated by the physician and/or RN; and
- Demonstrates respect for every individual's culture by providing culturally competent care.
2. Contributes to the success of the team through participation in staff meetings, quality improvement activities, team-building exercises, etc.
3. Promotes a healing environment for patients, families and co-workers.
4. Professional and Organizational Responsibilities: Maintains competency and contributes to the Gundersen Health System mission and strategic plan.
5. Performs other job-related responsibilities as required.
Education and Learning:
High School Diploma or equivalency plus a graduate of a medical assistant program or practical nursing program or attained a medical assistant certification
High School Diploma or equivalency + a graduate of a Medical Assistant Program
No experience required.
6 months experience in a healthcare setting.
License and Certifications:
Certification will be required within 18 months of hire date by one of the following:
- American Association of Medical Assistants as a Certified Medical Assistant
- National Healthcareer Association as a Certified Clinical Medical Assistant
- National Center for Competency Testing as a National Certified Medical Assistant; or
- American Medical Technologists as a Registered Medical Assistant
Current Infant-Adult Basic Life Support for Health Care Providers (with hands on learning) from one of the following programs; American Heart Association or American Red Cross.
Some departments may require additional certifications. For example, if a Medical Assistant is working with a Chiropractor, they will need a Wisconsin Chiropractic Technician Certification (CHIROTEC).
Age Specific Population Served:
Infant (less than 1 year)
Pediatric (1 - 12 years)
Adolescent (13 - 17 years)
Adult (18 - 64 years)
Geriatric (65 years & older) Unit/Department Specific
Category 1 – All Employees in this job title have a reasonably anticipated risk of occupational exposure to blood and/or other potentially infections materials
Exposed to infectious diseases.
Physical Requirements/Demands Of The Position:
Sitting Frequently (34-66% or 5.5 hours)
Static Standing Continually (67-100% or 8 hours) Walking/Standing Continually (67-100% or 8 hours)
Stooping/Bending Occasionally (6-33% or 3 hours)
Squatting Occasionally (6-33% or 3 hours) Kneeling/Half Kneel Occasionally (6-33% or 3 hours) Climbing Stair Occasionally (6-33% or 3 hours)
Reaching - Shoulder Level Continually (67-100% or 8 hours)
Reaching - Below Shoulder Continually (67-100% or 8 hours)
Reaching - Above Shoulder Continually (67-100% or 8 hours)
Repetitive Actions - Pinch Forces Frequently (34-66% or 5.5 hours) Pounds of force 0-25
Repetitive Actions - Grip Forces Frequently (34-66% or 5.5 hours) Pounds of force 0-25
Repetitive Actions - Fine Manipulation Continually (67-100% or 8 hours)
Balance - Right Leg Occasionally (6-33% or 3 hours)
Balance - Left Leg Occasionally (6-33% or 3 hours)
Lifting - Other Occasionally (6-33% or 3 hours) Number of lbs 0-25
Carrying - Short Carry Occasionally (6-33% or 3 hours) Number of lbs 0-25
Push/Pull (Static Force) Occasionally (6-33% or 3 hours) Number of lbs 0-25
If you need assistance with any portion of the application or have questions about the position, please contact [email protected] or call 608-775-0267
Equal Opportunity Employer