La Crosse, WI 54601
Love + medicine is who we are, it's what we do, it's why people want to work here. If you’re looking for a job to love, apply today.
Schedule Weekly Hours:40
This full-time position supporting GHS Coulee Trails will be based on-site in La Crosse at our Regional Operations and Communications Center. This role will generally be scheduled Monday-Friday either 11am-7pm or 12pm-8pm.
The Transportation Specialist provides oversight of system operations and performance for transport department which includes properly deploying and managing non-emergency medical transport scheduling, being the primary contact for transport requests, and ensuring proper scheduling for company staff and patients. This position is an essential part of the operations team and is responsible for ensuring operational efficiency and customer satisfaction.
1. Receives requests for non-emergency transportation by telephone or computer system.
2. Coordinates non-emergency medical transports via scheduling software while maintaining high level of customer service.
3. Dispatches appropriate resources according to protocol.
4. Records and documents activities relating to dispatching of resources.
5. Maintain knowledge of service area of non-emergency transportation.
6. Perform service call tree when necessary, working with outside transportation providers.
7. Facilitates efficient communication with social work, manage care organizations.
8. Works closely with clinical departments to facilitate the appropriate scheduling of patients discharged from Gundersen health system.
9. Provides complete and accurate patient information to drivers responding to transfers.
10. Coordinates short notice scheduling needs to ensures the schedule follows policy and system needs.
11. Determines appropriate insurance eligibility and bills claims.
12. Works collectively with payors, patients, and internal contacts to identify and rectify billing issues resulting in reimbursement and final disposition of claims.
13. Maintain adherence to program and reimbursement regulations to ensure compliance. Assist with reports required by state DOT and state Medicaid for grant applications, transportation reports, reimbursement and audit requirements.
14. Works directly with patients and families when concerns for billing arise.
15. Documents and reports any complaints, mechanical failures, or problems to the proper authority for proper handling.
16. Provides customer service to internal and external customers. Work typically involves advanced problem solving, independent thinking and judgement, coordinating complex services and addressing competing needs of several groups or individuals. May coordinate work of others within the organization or provide follow-up to staff to meet their individual goals.
17. On occasion, will relocate vans to/from repair and servicing locations.
18. Liaison for driver questions or concerns related to scheduling or patient situations.
19. Embrace technology as an essential component of an efficient, measured operation and is willing and eager to learn new technology.
20. Performs other job-related responsibilities as requested.
Education and Learning:
High School Diploma or equivalency
1 year experience with in using computer systems and software
1 year work experience, preferably working in a medical facility, insurance company or office setting
1 year experience in a healthcare setting with billing experience
1 year experience dispatching ambulance, police and/or fire units, and previous patient-care ambulance experience. Experience as Emergency Medical Dispatcher (APCO, Medical Priority), First Responder, or Emergency Medical Technician.
License and Certifications:
Valid driver’s license
Wisconsin Emergency Medical Technician - Basic (EMT-B)
Age Specific Population Served:
Nonage Specific (N/A)
Category III - No employees in this job title have a reasonably anticipated risk of occupational exposure to blood and/or other potentially infectious materials.
Not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions (as in typical office or administrative work).
Physical Requirements/Demands Of The Position:
Sitting Continually (67-100% or 8 hours)
If you need assistance with any portion of the application or have questions about the position, please contact [email protected] or call 608-775-0267
Equal Opportunity Employer