La Crosse, WI 54601
Love + medicine is who we are, it's what we do, it's why people want to work here. If you’re looking for a job to love, apply today.
Schedule Weekly Hours:20
Gundersen Health System is seeking an Admitting/Registration Specialist to join our growing and thriving organization. This is your opportunity to provide both customer service and effective engagement to patients while doing the work you love in the beautiful coulee region of La Crosse, Wisconsin
- .5 FTE (20 hours/week)
- Shift: 2:30 PM - 11:00 PM
- Location: La Crosse Urgent Care/Emergency
- Shift Differentials: PM - $1.00, Nights - $2.00, Weekend - $1.50
- Week 1: Monday, Saturday, Sunday
- Week 2: Monday, Thursday
What you will do:
- Provide LOVE + MEDICINE to our patients through providing the best first/last impressions with top level customer service.
- Partner with a team of providers, medical professionals and managers who are here to support your success and that of our patients in their health journeys.
What you will get:
- Starting pay of $16.77/hour + more for experience!
- Shift, weekend, and holiday differentials
- Support to grow in your career with access to our Career Development Center and Tuition Investment Program
- Top-rated retirement plan and healthcare benefits
- Departmental leadership that supports you as you do your best work.
- Work/Life balance to love what you do and where you live.
What you need:
- High School Diploma or equivalency
- 1 year experience in a general support or service area, requiring basic occupational knowledge and skills.
Gundersen Health System is healthcare for neighbors, by neighbors. While we call La Crosse home, our system has 7 hospitals and 65 clinics in neighboring communities. Inside our walls and our neighborhoods, we deliver world-class medical care combined with the right amount of love. We call it Love + Medicine and it’s who we are.
The Admission Counselor is responsible for providing customer service to both internal and external customers regarding demographic information, insurance coverage, pre-certification and patient responsibility prior to admission and/or discharge. This information is used to assure prompt reimbursement for services rendered and to assist the patient obtaining funding for services. Utilizes patient scheduling system as needed.
1. Verify insurance coverage and obtain benefit information prior to admission and complete pre-certifications.
2. Adheres to strict customer confidentiality standards, recognizing that even acknowledgment of privileged information is prohibited.
3. Initiates estimate requests for patients and notifies guarantor and/or provider of appropriate funding sources, including county and possible charity, prior to admission.
4. Checks patients in to scheduling system that are arriving for CT Scan appointments.
5. Schedule any necessary appointments for patients upon discharge from Urgent Care.
6. Collect accurate demographic, guarantor, insurance and incident specific information in order to promptly register patients on computer billing systems. This includes registration and/or insurance record setups and updates.
7. Obtain appropriate signatures on forms relating to registration and billing.
8. Scan all necessary forms into Document Imaging.
9. Responsible for knowledge of policies and procedures relating to registration.
10. Review inpatient/outpatient admission billing folder for complete information.
11. Meet with patient and/or family, possibly at the patient's bedside, prior to discharge, to obtain incomplete information/signatures.
12. Effectively communicate and educate patients on their financial responsibilities to the organization. This would include the guidelines for payment and self-pay balances, along with the insurance process statements they will receive.
13. Give estimates on services, take payments and set up payment arrangements for both clinic and hospital services.
14. Works within the organizational financial guidelines for collecting payment and directs customers to appropriate resources when necessary.
15. Responsible for completing lab reports and work que's on a daily basis.
16. Verifying Pre-Admission Teaching and Testing schedules Monday-Friday.
17. Keeps current on all federal, state, and third party payor insurance regulations.
18. Responds to customer complaints/concerns either in writing or verbally, utilizing appropriate resources. Uses CWS (Clinical Work Station) and/or appropriate systems to view patient preferences to communicate with patients including those cared for by Behavioral Health.
19. Personal and telephone contact with customers: i.e., patients, family members, physicians and professional staff, external contacts regarding Medical, Mental Health or AODA services, and third party payor coverage.
20. Attends all department meetings/training as necessary and other duties as assigned by department.
Education and Learning:
High School Diploma or equivalency +
Successful completion of defined core competency testing for Admitting Counselor/Registration Clerk.
1 year experience in a general support or service area, requiring basic occupational knowledge and skills.
3-4 years experience in a healthcare setting
Age Specific Population Served:
Nonage Specific (N/A)
Category III - No employees in this job title have a reasonably anticipated risk of occupational exposure to blood and/or other potentially infectious materials.
Not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions (as in typical office or administrative work).
Physical Requirements/Demands Of The Position:
Sitting Continually (67-100% or 8 hours)
Repetitive Actions - Fine Manipulation Continually (67-100% or 8 hours)
If you need assistance with any portion of the application or have questions about the position, please contact [email protected] or call 608-775-0267
Equal Opportunity Employer