Gundersen Tri-County receives Patient-Centered Medical Home certification
All primary care locations throughout Gundersen Tri-County Hospital and Clinics and Gundersen Health System, including Pediatrics, Family Medicine and General Internal Medicine, have achieved the highest level of Patient-Centered Medical Home (PCMH) certification from the National Committee for Quality Assurance.
Medical Home is a healthcare model that emphasizes care coordination and communication to transform primary care into what our patients want it to be. It's designed to assure that patients get quality primary care when and where they need and want it.
"Gundersen has long followed Medical Home principles, but this highest level of certification is confirmation to our patients that they are receiving the highest quality care and the confidence and trust they put in us is well founded," says Kim Breidenbach, MD, family medicine physician at Gundersen Tri-County. "We are very proud to have achieved this national recognition because it shows that we have done the work to improve the care we deliver, to best address the needs of the community and be good stewards of our resources."
There's growing evidence that the Medical Home model leads to higher quality of care and lower costs by reducing hospital and emergency department visits, lessening health inequities and improving patient outcomes.
Attributes of the primary care medical home include:
- Accountable for meeting each patient's care needs, including prevention and wellness, acute care and chronic care using a team of care providers
- Provide patient-centered healthcare that focuses on the whole person by:
- Respecting each patient's unique needs, culture, values and preferences
- Sharing decision making with patients and families
- Coordinate care, including specialty care, hospitals, home healthcare, and community services and supports
- Deliver accessible services with shorter waiting times for urgent needs, enhanced in-person hours, 24/7 telephone or electronic access to the care team
- Commitment to quality and quality improvement by:
- Engaging in performance measurement and improvement
- Measuring and responding to patient experiences and patient satisfaction
- Practicing population health activities
- Share quality and safety data and improvement activities
For more information about Gundersen's medical home certification or to find a Gundersen Tri-County primary care provider and establish your Medical Home, call the Gundersen Tri-County location nearest you or visit gundersenhealth.org/primary-care.