Safety in the hospital
Gundersen Health System wants parents and their new baby to be safe while staying with us.
Here are some safety tips to follow:
- Never leave your baby alone in your room.
- Keep the curtain pulled or the door closed.
- Security bands will be put on you and your newborn baby after delivery. Keep the bands on for as long as you are in the hospital. Tell the nurse if a band comes off.
- Only leave your baby in your room with someone wearing a security band, or with staff from Pediatrics, OB or the Nursery.
- All Gundersen staff wear a photo ID. Medical and nursing students also wear student name badges. Ask to see an ID before you let anyone take your baby. Put on your call light and stay with your baby if:
- You have a question about any person who comes into your room.
- You are told your baby needs tests or lab work that you did not know about.
- Do not take your baby off the Postpartum Unit.
- Always use the infant crib when transporting your baby in the hallway.
- Hospital staff will escort the family and baby to the front of the hospital on discharge.
- All visitors must wear a badge. Badges are available at the Hospital Information Desk.