Child Protection Services
Gundersen Health System abides by the laws of the State of Wisconsin and cooperates with all other States of the Nation to protect the health and welfare of children by the reporting of suspected child abuse and neglect. It will be reported in a manner that meets legal criteria and ensures the immediate safety of the child. Persons required by Wisconsin law to report cases of child abuse and neglect include physicians and other professionals who may care for these children.
The Child Protection Team takes the following steps when child abuse or neglect is suspected:
- Interview the family to obtain current living situation, school, daycare arrangements, and information on the incident.
- Assist the community investigating agency in obtaining all medical documentation.
- Immediately report suspected abuse or neglect to community investigating agency in the child's county of residence and/or occurrence.
- Assist with Protective Hold if appropriate when the child is hospitalized.
- Coordinate referrals for follow up medical and psychological care for patient and family, if requested by community investigating agency.
- Coordinate a team Care Conference when requested to do so.