Pediatric Genetic Counseling
If you or your child has a developmental problem, birth defect or one of a wide variety of changes that might point to a genetic disorder, there is often a question of what the underlying cause might be. The pediatrics genetic counselors at Gundersen Health System, in collaboration with our medical geneticist, can help explore an answer to this question.
The genetic counselors will:
- Gather and evaluate family history
- Coordinate genetic tests that may be needed
- Educate you and/or your child to better understand and manage the disorder
- Provide information for how a disorder could affect other family members
- Communicate genetic testing results
Sweat test offered at Gundersen
One of the unique offerings provided by Gundersen Pediatrics Genetic Counseling is the sweat test. The sweat test is used to diagnose suspected cases of cystic fibrosis, frequently after a positive newborn screening result.
Pediatrics genetic counselors are part of the comprehensive Genetic Services team at Gundersen Health System. They will work closely with you or your child's primary care provider, and other specialists, to provide the best overall care.
You or your child may be referred to a pediatrics genetic counselor for reasons, such as:
- Birth defects
- Developmental delays with or without dysmorphic appearance
- Autism spectrum disorders
- Hearing loss
- Known or suspected genetic disorder in the family
- Down syndrome or chromosome change
- Connective tissue disorders
- Certain heart disorders
- Certain neurologic disorders
- Inherited disorders affecting any part of the body