Ear, Nose & Throat
Head & Neck Surgery
Gundersen's Otolaryngology provides treatment and surgical evaluation of disorders related to the ears, nose, throat, head and neck.
Our specialists treat adults and children for a wide range of conditions including:
Services we offer
- Cleft lip/Palate: Gundersen Otolaryngologists join other pediatric specialists to provide patients with a comprehensive, personalized plan for treatment and follow-up. Our Cleft Lip/Palate Clinic is one of only four in the state.
- Ear infections - Ear Tubes: If your child suffers from chronic ear infections or fluid in their ears it may be time for one of our Otolaryngologists to insert a tiny tube into their eardrum, so fluids can drain more easily. The tubes often eventually fall out on their own, or we can remove them.
- Hearing loss - Baha Hearing System: If you have hearing loss caused by chronic ear infections, congenital conductive hearing loss or single-sided deafness, a surgical procedure can open up a world of new sounds. The Baha Hearing System allows sound to bypass the external ear canal and the middle ear, transmitting sound vibrations to an implant in the bone. Those vibrations stimulate nerve fibers in your inner ear and allow you to hear.
- Sinus problems - Ballon Sinuplasty: Sinus problems are common. If over-the-counter treatments aren't working and you have a chronic condition, balloon sinuplasty may help. Our Otolaryngologist will position a thin balloon and inflate it to open passages leading to sinuses. The balloon is then deflated and removed, restoring normal sinus function and leaving the lining of your nasal passage unharmed. Most patients return to normal activities within a day.
- Snoring/Sleep apnea - Pillaring Procedure: If snoring is keeping someone in your house awake at night, Gundersen has several options for treatment. We offer an operation called the "Pillaring Procedure" under local anesthesia in the clinic and only takes 30 to 45 minutes. It involves inserting woven inserts to stiffen the soft palate and avoid vibration. The inserts cause no discomfort and remain in position permanently. This procedure is also a possible treatment for mild sleep apnea.
Surgeries we perform
Whenever possible, we try to treat the condition without surgery. When surgery is needed, we offer a number of options in a wide range of locations, keeping care close to home.
La Crosse and Onalaska Otolaryngology is a department of Gundersen Lutheran Medical Center.