Emergency, Urgent & ExpressCare
From minor illness and injury to severe trauma and emergency—Gundersen Health System offers options to match the level of care you need.
For life-threatening illness or serious injuries, call 911 or go directly to your nearest emergency department.
Contact your primary care doctor or provider
Try to schedule an appointment with the person who knows the most about your health history first. Your provider or another member of your Medical Home team will try to see you that day.
If your primary care provider is unavailable or it's after regular clinic hours, go to Urgent Care (sometimes called Walk-In Care) or visit a Gundersen ExpressCare Clinic (ages 2 and up).
For life-threatening illnesses or serious injuries
Call 911 or go to Emergency Services
Average cost: $$$
24 hours a day, 7 days a week
When your illness or injury is serious or life threatening, call 911 or your local emergency number, or go to Gundersen Emergency Services in La Crosse, Boscobel, Friendship, Hillsboro, Whitehall, West Union or the nearest emergency department. Gundersen Emergency Services is staffed with board-certified emergency medicine physicians. La Crosse is the region's highest verified trauma center.
Use Emergency Services for:
- Chest pain or heart attack
- Numbness or weakness on one side or stroke symptoms
- Shortness of breath
- Broken bones
- Loss of consciousness or head injuries
- Severe headache – sudden onset
- Suicide attempt
- Severe cuts
- Alcohol or drug intoxication or overdose
- Severe abdominal pain
- Pregnancy-related problems (bleeding or abdominal pain)
Emergency Services locations
For illness or injury that is NOT life-threatening
Go to Urgent Care
Average cost: $$
Use Urgent Care if the clinic is closed or your primary care provider is unavailable. This is the best option when an illness or injury causes discomfort but is not a serious health risk, such as:
- Cuts, scrapes and bruises
- Skin rashes, insect bite and minor burns
- Fever, colds and flu
- Sore or strep throat
- Sinus and upper respiratory infections
- Ear pain or infection
- Sudden back or neck pain
- Strains, and sprains and minor broken bones
- Urinary burning
Urgent Care locations
For minor illnesses
Visit a Gundersen ExpressCare Clinic
Average cost: $
For a minor illness, ExpressCare Clinics are a convenient walk-in option for age 2 and up, whether you receive your care with us or not. This affordable option may be billed to insurance.
ExpressCare Clinics treat:
- Bladder or urinary tract infection (female, age 12+)
- Cough or Bronchitis, upper respiratory infections
- Ear pain, swimmer's ear, infection, wax removal
- Mild vomiting or diarrhea
- Insect or tick bites
- Pink eye
- Sinus and seasonal allergies
- Skin irritation and rashes
- Sore or strep throat (extra charge for culture)
Other services available at ExressCare (prices vary)
- Pregnancy testing
- TB skin testing
- Quitting tobacco
Still not sure
Call a Telephone Nurse Advisor
This is a free service of Gundersen Health System. Nurses can answer your questions and help you decide if you should:
- Care for yourself at home with their advice.
- See your primary care provider.
- Go to Urgent care or Emergency Services.
24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
(608) 775-4454 or (800) 858-1050
Emergency Services in La Crosse and Gundersen Onalaska Clinic; Urgent Care are departments of Gundersen Lutheran Medical Center so hospital co-pays may apply.