Diabetes & Endocrinology
Diabetes requires proper management to avoid serious long-term health problems. With good blood glucose control, many of the complications of diabetes can be prevented. Gundersen has nurses and dietitians who are specially trained in diabetes education to help you develop a personalized diabetes management plan.
Gundersen diabetes educators work with people who have:
- Type 1 diabetes
- Type 2 diabetes
- Gestational diabetes (develops during pregnancy)
Diabetes is caused by a problem in the way your body makes or uses insulin. Insulin is needed to move blood sugar (glucose) into cells, where it is stored and later used for energy.
Our specially trained diabetes educators will help you develop a personalized diabetes management plan. They use a team approach, meaning you will have appointments with both a nurse and a dietitian. They will also work closely with your other healthcare providers.
Services offered include:
- Individualized nutrition planning
- Blood glucose monitoring
- Insulin pump training
- 72-hour glucose sensor
- Education on specialized diabetes management devices
- Latest technologies and recommendations
- Lifestyle modifications
There are many benefits of working with a diabetes educator at Gundersen. You will:
- Develop a diabetes management plan that matches your lifestyle, behaviors and medications.
- Learn about healthy eating tips so you don't have to give up all the foods you like or eat different meals than your family.
- Learn how to take accurate blood sugar readings.
- Have ongoing appointments to make sure your diabetes is under control and to adjust your treatment plan, as needed.
- Be part of an education program that follows national standards and is recognized by the American Diabetes Association.