Respecting Choices is an internationally recognized, evidence-based advance care planning program
that is dramatically different from other programs. Since 2000, Respecting Choices has assisted other organizations in replicating the Respecting Choices model through:
- Design of key elements that help busy professionals do the right thing
- Adoption of advance care planning as an ongoing process of communication integrated into the routine of patient-centered care and appropriately staged to the individual’s state of health.
As innovators and leaders in advance care planning education and systems development since 1991, Respecting Choices has provided training, consultation, and materials to organizations and communities around the world.
Why our method works
One of the greatest misconceptions about advance care planning (ACP) is that it is a static process — a one-time event. Attempting to plan for all possibilities in a single document or at a single point in time is both impossible and unnecessary.
Respecting Choices works because our approach is staged based on a person's state of health. We understand that an advance care planning program is an ongoing process of communication, integrated into the routine of patient-centered care. Other programs that emphasize completing a living will or advance directive are only scratching the surface. In fact, the standard approach of document completion has failed. Respecting Choices understands the big picture. We know what it takes to create comprehensive, effective advance care planning programs that result in honoring informed healthcare decisions.
Respecting Choices staged approach to advance care planning will help you exceed The Joint Commission requirements regarding patients' rights, including:
- Comfort and dignity during end-of-life care
- The patient's participation in decisions regarding the patient’s care, treatment, or services before and at the end of life
- A complete patient record reflecting the patient's care, treatment or service
We can help you
We invite you to learn more about how the Respecting Choices staged approach to advance care planning can help you create a culture where planning for future healthcare becomes the norm and honoring informed healthcare decisions becomes the expected standard of care.
Respecting Choices is owned and operated by Gundersen Health System, a not-for-profit 501(c)(3) corporation located in La Crosse, WI, USA.