The Summer Fellow program was established in 1985. It was later renamed the A.C.V. Elston III, MD Summer Research Fellowship in honor of Dr. Elston's service as Director of Medical Research and in recognition of his enthusiastic support of the Summer Fellow program. The purpose of the program is to encourage students with an interest in pursuing a healthcare profession to engage in research. Thanks to our generous benefactors, who have established endowments of $50,000 or more, Gundersen Medical Foundation now has 12 endowed Fellowships. Some Fellowships are reserved for projects in a particular specialty (nursing, cardiology, surgery, pediatric oncology), while others are open to research in any area of health-related scientific inquiry.
To learn more about the application process and the Fellowship experience, please consult the Frequently Asked Questions. To view photographs of past Fellow classes and the titles of their research projects, click on the “Class of” link at left.
As you begin planning your summer, we hope you will consider joining the next A.C.V. Elston III, MD Summer Research Fellowship class.
Manager, Medical Research
- Jerry & Anna Beth Culver Fellow
- Joan Curran Memorial Fellow
- Dr. A. C. V. & Mary M. Elston Fellow
- Gertrude Salzer Gordon Fellow
- Adolf L. Gundersen, MD, Fellow – endowed by Robert Kierlin & Mary Burrichter
- Desmond & Lucille Harris Fellow
- Sharon & George Kerckhove Fellow
- Kenneth & Mildred Kuebler Fellows (2) – endowed by Mr. & Mrs. Bernard Killoran
- Lommen Family Fellow
- John & Nettie Mooney Fellow
- Ward E. Brown and Ward M. Brown Fellow