Grief & Bereavement
Grief can be a lonely and confusing time. Because thoughts and behaviors are different than what you normally experience, it is natural for you to question how you are feeling. Gundersen Health System wants to continue to be a resource to you. That is why we have a listing of local community support groups and resources designed to help you express grief in your own way and own time.
- There are many local support groups and resources that can help in times of grieving and loss.
Gundersen Telephone Nurse Advisor: Health Education and Referrals
Gundersen Hospice Services Bereavement Support Group:
- Location: 1509 King Street English Lutheran Church, La Crosse, WI 54601
- A free, ecumenical and open grief support group for people who are experiencing grief due to loss in their life or anticipatory grief such as family or friends with terminal illness.
Grief Education and Support Group: Gundersen Health System
- Location: Gundersen Lutheran Medical Center-La Crosse Campus, 1900 South Ave.
- Phone: Pastoral Care at (608) 775-3620
- Free, six-week sessions held at various times throughout year to provide the opportunity for members to share feelings and be with others who have had a death in the family. Grief Education offers education on the grieving process and readjustment to life after death has occurred.
Healing Through Grief: Bereavement Support Group
- Location: 700 West Avenue South 2rd floor, St. Francis bldg., La Crosse
- Phone: (608) 785-0940 Ext. 22218
- Free and confidential group sessions including an educational topic and a time to share with others also experiencing grief. One-on-one, free and confidential support is available from a chaplain with grief training.
Great Rivers 2-1-1
- Offers information and referrals for local grief support groups and counselors.
- Free and confidential, 24 hours, 7 days a week. Phone 2-1-1.
- Location: Schumacher-Kish Funeral Home, 200 West Avenue, La Crosse, WI
- Phone: (608) 782-1252
- Meeting provides a time for individuals to share experiences and support each other.
Compassionate Friends Coulee Region Chapter: Supporting Family after Child Loss
- La Crosse Chapter- North Presbyterian Church, 1327 Salem Rd, La Crosse, WI
- Hillsboro Chapter- St. Joseph’s Community Outreach Center, 826 Prairie Ave., Hillsboro, WI
- This chapter provides grief support for individuals, family or friends who have suffered the death of a child.