The Association of Clinical Pastoral Education, Inc. (ACPE) educates professionals and lay persons for ministry in hospitals, hospices, nursing homes, mental health centers, congre gations and in other specialized settings. Through CPE, you’ll develop skills and understanding to serve people at crossroads in their lives. Some are dealing with serious illnesses; some are aging or facing new challenges; others are dealing with death.
CPE students work closely with our faculty, Gundersen Health System professionals and with a rich diversity of patients and residents.
Those involved in our residency program have the opportunity for ministry placements at Gundersen Lutheran Medical Center, palliative care or hospice.
Gundersen Health System is a fully accredited ACPE center offering certified units of Level I and II CPE and CPE Supervisory Education. Because of our rich diversity of learning opportunities and our outstanding faculty, our CPE program is competitive with the finest CPE programs in the United States.
Who can be a CPE student?
- Ordained clergy
- Religious sisters and brothers
- Allied health professionals
- Lay persons
Our students come from a variety of cultural and religious backgrounds. They are available to be contacted if you wish to speak with them about any of our programs. You may contact us via phone at (608) 775-3620 or (800) 362-9567, ext. 53620, or via e-mail PastoralCare@gundersenhealth.org.
Student Positions Available
Four to six positions are available for the summer full-time unit beginning May 27, 2014, and ending August 8, 2014.
Five to six positions are available toward the end of August 2014, for a 12-month plus one week residency comprised of three four-month terms. Possible clinical assignments are in hospice, palliative care and hospital settings. Prerequisite is successful
completion of one CPE unit. Tax-exempt housing allowance is available for ordained CPE residents.
Four to seven positions are available for part-time CPE, which meets one day per week beginning in October 2014. Normally the class will meet on Fridays with the exception of the first two weeks
of orientation where students should be prepared to spend two days each week. Each member is on call at Gundersen Lutheran Medical Center an average of two times each month. The program is open to clergy, seminarians and lay persons.
One position is available as a supervisory resident on a two-year contract for the purpose of becoming certified as a CPE supervisor. Prerequisites are
- One year of CPE
- Master of Divinity degree
- On-site interview with CPE screening committee
- Demonstrated pastoral competence
Tuition Per Unit
Thanks to generous support from the Gundersen Medical Foundation, tuition cost is only $200 per unit.
Extended — $500
Summer — $500
CPE Residency — $30,900
Supervisory — $33,500
*All stipends are subject to budget approvals.
Tax-exempt housing allowance, days off, housing information for summer students and health insurance are available.
Association of Clinical Pastoral Education, Inc.
1549 Clairmont Road - Suite 103
Decatur, Georgia 30033-4635
Application & Instructions for Clinical Pastoral Education
Please download a PDF of the application and instructions. If you do not have the free PDF reader on your computer, please click here.
- Rev. Stephan Brunelle, M. Div., ACPE Supervisor, Clinical Manager, Pastoral Care, Gundersen Health System
- Laura Kaufmann, BCC, ACPE Supervisor, Manager of CPE, Gundersen Health System
- Sr. Martha Donnelly, BCC, Staff Chaplain, Coordinator of Catholic Ministries, Gundersen Health System
- Rev Paul Haugen, M. Div., BCC, Staff Chaplain, Gundersen Health System
- Rev. Ann Tyndall, M. Div., Staff Chaplain, Gundersen Health System
- Rev. Corinne Thul, M. Div, Staff Chaplain, Gundersen Health System
- Rev. Dean Staffanson, M. Div., Gundersen Hospice
- Bud Hammes, PhD, Director of Medical Humanities, Gundersen Medical Foundation
- Tom Harter, PhD, Associate Clinical Ethicist, Medical Humanities, Gundersen Medical Foundation