Serious injuries from a car, motorcycle or farming accident are unexpected events that often land you in the emergency room. If there is serious injury to bones or muscles, Gundersen Health System Orthopaedics has a dedicated trauma team that is specially trained to treat more complex injuries.
Orthopaedic trauma specialists treat injuries from head to toe and babies up to the elderly. Injuries can range from needing a sling to multiple injuries affecting many areas of the body. Some of the common traumatic injuries include:
- Fractures of the pelvis and hip socket
- Complex fractures of joints
- Injuries to the hand, wrist, or arm
- Foot and ankle injuries
- Severe soft tissue injuries
- Shoulder blade or collar bone fractures
- Broken shinbones or other bones in the leg
Gundersen orthopaedic specialists provide surgical and nonsurgical treatments for bone and muscle traumas. Some of the nonsurgical treatments can include:
- Splinting of injuries
- Activity restriction
- Rehabilitation or physical therapy to regain function
The orthopaedic trauma team follows the patient through the process of healing and therapy. They also work closely with other specialists such as internal medicine, trauma, neurosciences, inpatient rehabilitation, behavioral health, and plastic surgery to provide thorough care for traumatic injuries.