Makes 8 (1 cup) servings
1 large onion
2 garlic cloves
2 Tbsp. fresh basil
1 lb. packaged uncooked ziti
1 (14.5 oz.) can petite diced tomatoes
1 lb. hot Italian turkey sausage links
1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste
1 (28 oz.) can petite diced tomatoes
¼ tsp. black pepper
1 cup each: shredded part skim mozzarella cheese and grated Parmesan cheese
1. Dice onion (enough for 1 cup) and mince garlic, set aside. Chop fresh basil and set aside.
2. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and mix in 1 (14.5 oz.) can of petite diced tomatoes, set aside.
3. Remove casings from sausage. Cook sausage, diced onion, and minced garlic in a large skillet over medium heat until browned, stirring to crumble.
4. Add tomato paste, black pepper and diced tomatoes to sausage in skillet and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Combine pasta, sausage mixture and basil. Place half of the mixture in a 4-quart casserole lightly coated with cooking spray. Top with half of mozzarella and half of Parmesan. Repeat layers. Bake for 25 minutes or until bubbly.
Nutrition Analysis per serving: 475 calories, 15g fat, 26g protein, 58g carbohydrate, 5g fiber, 1,157 mg sodium