Makes 4 servings
2 tsp. fresh ginger
3 cloves garlic
2 tsp. sesame oil
1 lb. 90/10 ground beef, or leaner
½ c. thinly sliced red onion
½ tsp. sesame oil
1 Tbsp. sugar
2 Tbsp. lime juice
1 ½ Tbsp. fish sauce
1 Tbsp. water
1-2 Tbsp. hoisin sauce
½ c. cilantro
2 Tbsp. dry roasted peanuts
1 head of green cabbage or lettuce
1. Peel and mince ginger and garlic. Slice red onion, set aside.
2. Heat sesame oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Add ginger and garlic and sauté 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add beef, cook until browned, stirring to crumble. Add red onion, cooking only 1-2 minutes longer.
3. Combine sesame oil through hoisin sauce in a small bowl. Mix into ground beef mixture to fully incorporate. Remove from heat. You may start with 1 Tbsp. of hoisin sauce, taste your meat once combined and add an additional 1 Tbsp. if desired.
4. Chop cilantro and crush peanuts. Wash lettuce or cabbage. Peel leaves from head to be used as “cups” for the meat.
5. Fill lettuce or cabbage cups with meat mixture. Garnish with cilantro and crushed peanuts.
Nutrition Analysis per serving: 315 calories, 17g fat, 25g protein, 12g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, 600mg sodium