When children suffer from seizures, migraine headaches or other nervous system and muscle conditions, parents may not know where to turn. Pediatric Neurology at Gundersen Health System offers up-to-date and high quality care for children with a wide range of neurological disorders.
The complex nature of nervous system diseases in children often requires specialists from several areas working together. Gundersen is unique in our access to top pediatric specialists familiar with neurological disorders in children.
Pediatric neurologists evaluate children with a wide variety of nervous system and muscle conditions including:
- Epileptic seizures
- Migraine and other headaches
- Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder
- Tourette syndrome and other tic disorders
- Tremor, chorea, and other movement disorders
- Postconcussion syndrome
- Chronic static encephalopathy
- Developmental delays and regression
- Sleep apnea, night terrors, and other sleep disorders
- Cerebral palsy
- Progressive neurodegenerative disorders
- Neonatal encephalopathy
- Abnormal skull shape in infancy
We work with patients and their families to educate them about their disorder and provide them with ongoing care and support. Our specialists also strive to exceed medical excellence by:
- Providing a treatment plan
- Offering clinical tests
- Providing excellent availability to patients with or without an appointment
- Offering continued care after the patient is sent home
- Providing efficient and effective follow up care
- Working closely with other specialists to ensure a full recovery
- Educating and training area school staff for emergency situations
At our First Seizure Clinic, our goal is to assess patients who experience their first seizure as soon as possible. A seizure can be an isolated occurrence or a sign of more serious problems, including epilepsy. We want you to have answers and our team is geared to evaluate and treat your child as soon as possible.
In our Traumatic Brain Injury/Concussion Care Clinic, our goal is to see your child within one week of suffering a head injury. This is so important to your child's development. We want them to return to their active lives and get back to their academic studies as soon as they can. We will even provide recommendations to your child's school to assist in developmental progress and healing.
The Child and Adolescent Headache Clinic provides a multidisciplinary approach to treating a child's migraines or other headaches. Our providers will create a plan of care which may include education, healthy lifestyle modifications, and medications. The comprehensive treatment approach may include Behavioral Health experts to provide biofeedback training and counseling.
Our Movement Disorders Clinic assesses and treats abnormal movements that can occur in children and teenagers. Among these are tremors and tic disorders, including Tourette syndrome. Treatment modalities include medications and, in some cases, behavioral modification.