Chronic or acute pain from diseases, disorders or accidents can keep people from doing the things they enjoy. Pain medicine specialists in Gundersen Neurosciences use a team approach to develop a treatment plan that helps patients manage pain and get back to living their life.
Gundersen pain specialists provide pain management options for acute, chronic and cancer pain. They treat pain from any condition, including:
- Nerve pain from shingles or other disorders of the nervous system
- Spine pain from degenerative disc or other spine disorders
- Joint or muscle pain from arthritis and other conditions
- Spasticity or muscle tightness caused by multiple sclerosis or spinal cord injuries
- Post-accident pain
- Chronic abdominal pain
- Sports injuries
- Surgery pain
Gundersen pain specialists offer a variety of injection treatments to help with pain. They may include:
- Ultrasound guided injections
- Lumbar epidural steroid injections for low back and leg pain
- Nerve blocks to interrupt pain signals to the brain
- Cervical epidural steroid injections for shoulder and upper back and arm pain
- Facet joint injections for back and neck pain
- Large joint injections to relieve pain in the lower back, hip, knee and shoulder
- Occipital injections for relief of neck pain and headaches
They also offer other treatments to manage pain, including:
- Radiofrequency or cryoablation to interrupt pain signals
- Implantable drug pumps
- Spinal cord and peripheral nerve stimulators
The pain specialists look at the whole person including any possible related issues such as depression or sleep problems. They explore options to help patients manage their pain and work to break the pain cycle. They also work with other specialists to provide the best treatment options. Treatment plans often combine interventions with physical therapy, counseling, biofeedback, relaxation and other types of self-regulating therapies to maximize function.
For more information about managing pain contact your primary care provider or call Gundersen Neurosciences at (608) 775-9000 or (800) 362-9567, ext. 59000.
The Injection Clinic is a department of Gundersen Lutheran Medical Center.