Gundersen Neurosciences has specialists who can diagnose and treat disorders of the brain, skull, spinal cord, and peripheral nerves. Our neurosurgeons provide state-of-the-art treatments for many conditions including disc arthroplasty (replacement) for debilitating back pain and deep brain stimulation for movement disorders such as Parkinson’s disease.
Gundersen neurosurgeons provide surgery options for conditions including:
- Arm pain with or without weakness that has not resolved with conservative treatment and/or time
- Back and/or leg pain that has failed conservative treatment and time
- Facial pain that cannot be corrected with other treatments
- Pain or dense numbness in the hand, wrist, forearm or elbow
- Vascular abnormalities in the brain that could cause dangerous bleeding
- Blood around or in the brain
- Brain tumors or lesions
- Brain aneurysms
- Arnold Chiari malformation
- Vascular Surgery for Stroke
- Movement Disorder
Specialized neurosurgeons offer several procedures to treat these conditions, including:
- Discectomy and/or fusion; disc arthroplasty (disc replacement); and laminectomy and laminotomy for the neck and back
- Craniotomy, transphenoidal pituitary surgery, and shunts for the brain
- Microvascular balloon decompression, suboccipital decompression, and percutaneous trigeminal rhizotomy for facial pain
- Carpal tunnel release and ulnar decompression for pain or numbness in the hand, wrist, forearm or elbow
- Carotid endarterectomy, and aneurysm coiling, clipping or removal for vascular abnormalities
Gundersen neurosurgeons also provide surgery for implantable devices such as:
- Deep Brain Stimulation (DBS) for disorders such as Parkinson's disease, essential tremor and dystonia
- Vagal Nerve Stimulator to control epilepsy
- Peripheral Nerve Stimulator to block chronic pain syndrome in the arms, hands, legs or feet.
Surgery is often the treatment, but the neurosurgeons work with other specialists to try more conservative treatments such as appropriate exercises and other therapies when possible.