In an era where healthcare information is available to patients with just a few clicks of a mouse, awards represent something of a report card that tell not just what we do, but how well we do it. Objective third-party evaluations take into consideration a broad range of factors, and are based on a variety of data and measures.
) one of the leading healthcare ratings organization in the country, analyzed nearly 40 million hospitalizations for their 2011 HealthGrades Hospital Quality and Clinical Excellence study. Analysis was based on three fiscal years (2007, 2008, and 2009) of patient records from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, for 26 distinct medical procedures and diagnoses. The select group of hospitals recognized by the study is noteworthy for achieving consistent, high-quality care in not just one or two specialties, but across the board. HealthGrades named Gundersen among the nation’s top five percent of hospitals, including the following:
- 2010 Distinguished Hospital Award for Clinical Excellence™
- HealthGrades 2011 Excellence Awards™ including Cardiac Care, Cardiac Surgery, Coronary Intervention, Orthopeadic Surgery, Joint Replacement Surgery, General Surgery, Gastroenterology (GI) Care and GI Surgery.
Thomson Reuters Healthcare (formerly Solucient) is the leading provider of decision support solutions that help organizations across the healthcare industry improve clinical and business performance. Their annual study to select the Top 100 national benchmark hospitals uses a scoring system which looks at weighted performance measures centered on clinical excellence, operating efficiency and financial health, and responsiveness to the community. Gundersen has been named a 100 Top Hospital more than a dozen times, including.
You can calso learn more on the Thompson Reuter web site.
In addition to accolades about our system performance, our staff has achieved national distinction in many service lines and related areas:
- One of only 31 facilities nationwide to receive the Outstanding Achievement Award from the Commission on Cancer of the American College of Surgeons.
- Gundersen and the Norma J. Vinger Center for Breast Care secured every breast-care related accreditation offered by the American College of Radiology—one of only two organizations in the country with that distinction—and named a Breast Imaging Center of Excellence.
- For over 25 years, RTS (formerly Resolve Through Sharing) has been the leading program for perinatal bereavement education. It’s available in more than 8,000 hospitals around the world, with over 30,000 trained professionals.
- A national leader in engaging patients and their families in advance care planning and honoring patient preferences at the end of life, Respecting Choices® is being implemented in over 60 organizations in North America and Australia.
- Earned accreditation as a Level II Trauma Center.
- For the last 8 years, 96% of our Internal Medicine residency graduates have passed their American Board of Internal Medicine exam on the first attempt.
- Gundersen was named an Advocacy All-Star by the Wisconsin Hospital Association for excellence in representing the communities we serve.
- Awarded three national awards for environmental policy and improvement.
- Medal of Honor and Meritorious Achievement Award from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services for successfully donating the organs of 81 percent of eligible donors (national average is 60 percent).
In an effort to provide an academic environment where education and patient care can be the priority, we are fully staffed, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for the following ancillary support, as well as numerous other services:
- Arterial puncture
- Respiratory Therapy
- Patient Transport
- Social Workers
- Radiology/Ultrasound Technicians
EPIC is our electronic record system that has clinic records, hospital H&P and discharge summaries, current and past medicines, medical problems, patient letters, radiology reports, EKG's, pathology and laboratory values all on one, easy to use system. This fully electronic medical record includes computerized order entry, imaging and electronic communication between services. The medical record is available at any computer terminal in the hospital, clinic or from home. They are also available in every clinic room. Because most patients consider us their primary hospital and clinic, seldom does one have to call other institutions for outside medical records. We also have the following databases:
"Support resources are readily available. With 24 hour access to the library, computers on every floor, and free photocopier use, literature review and academic pursuits are efficiently accomplished."
- Up To Date
- MD Consult
- And many more!
— John Herath, Internal Medicine Staff Physician, Former Resident
The Clinical Laboratories, are available 24 hours a day and perform 1.5 million tests annually. Laboratory collection and testing services are provided at La Crosse and at 23 regional clinic locations. More than 200 trained laboratory professionals provide a full range of laboratory services. Both clinical and anatomic pathology services are available; these include virology, microbiology, transfusion medicine, hematology, clinical chemistry, flow cytometry, immunology, histology, and cytology testing. Laboratory test results are delivered electronically to the patient's medical record for ease of access by the caregiver. All laboratory services are accredited by the College of American Pathologists.
The Radiology Department performs more than 11,000 examinations each year with MRI, CT, PET, three catheterization laboratories, ultrasound (including transvaginal and transesophageal) and nuclear medicine's computer tomography camera (SPECT). The radiology staff performs a wide variety of interventional procedures, including percutaneous nephrostomy, percutaneous renal stone removal, transluminal angioplasty, percutaneous abscess drainage, and stereotactic biopsies. In addition, radiologists provide specialty services to clinics and hospitals throughout the clinic/hospital's 19-county service area. Radiology reports are available immediately after interpretation via a computerized phone line and are put on the web-based medical record system shortly thereafter.