The structure of the fellowship can be viewed in two phases. Overall duration is 36 months of training.
The initial 18 month phase is an intensive clinical experience encompassing all aspects of Hematology and Medical Oncology. The second 18 month phase consists of research activity and elective clinical concentration. No less than 6 months during this time is to be devoted to research activity.
The approximate distribution of effort for the Hematology/Oncology Fellowship is:
- Hematology Inpatient and Consultative Service: 3 months
- Hematology Ambulatory Service: 4 months
- Oncology Inpatient and Consultative Service: 3 months
- Oncology Ambulatory Service: 4 months
- Palliative Care Rotation: 1 month
- Stem Cell Transplantation: 1 month
- Radiation Oncology: 1 month
- Hematopathology: 1/2 month
- Transfusion Medicine: 1/2 month