Stay healthy, get screened
Good health begins with routine exams, immunizations and screenings with your Medical Home team at Gundersen Health System. By following our preventive care guidelines, including regular wellness exams, you’ll increase your chances of staying healthy, catching health problems earlier and living longer.
Unless otherwise directed by your medical provider, we recommend following these Adult Preventive Care Guidelines:
- Wellness exam: All adults, every one to three years
- Blood pressure: All adults, at least every two years
- Cholesterol: All adults starting at age 20, every five years
- Fasting blood sugar/glucose: All adults with BMI of 25 or higher, every three years
- Mammography (breast cancer screening): Most women age 40-75, yearly or every-other-year
- Pap smear (cervical cancer screening): Women age 21-29, every 3 years; age 30-65, every three to five years
- Chlamydia: Women age 18-25 years, every year
- Colorectal cancer screening: All adults age 50-75; colonoscopy every 10 years or yearly stool specimen
- Bone mineral density (osteoporosis screening): Women age 65 and older, at least once
- Hepatitis C: Adults born between 1945 and 1965, once
- Lung cancer: Adults age 55-80 years, heavy current or former smokers, annual screenings
- Abdominal aortic aneurysm: Men age 65-75 years who have ever smoked, once
- Depression and anxiety: All adults, at every wellness exam
- Tetanus Diphtheria Pertussis: All adults, once, then boosters every 10 years
- Influenza: Most people of all ages, every year
- Pneumococcal: All adults age 65 and older, two shots a year apart
- Herpes zoster (shingles): All adult over age 50, in two doses about two months apart
These are designed to serve as a guide. Talk with your healthcare provider about what care is best for you and your overall health. Get the details for Pediatric Preventive Care Guidelines.
You can also track your health and wellness information, including recommended screenings and immunizations, and even schedule an appointment through MyCare. Visit mycare.gundersenhealth.org to sign up. It’s easy, secure and free!