Medical acupuncture involves stimulating specific points of the body to promote the body's own natural ability to heal, reduce pain and promote physical and emotional well-being for some patients.
Acupuncture practitioners believe a blockage of the energy that flows through the body can cause pain or imbalances that lead to illness. Hair-thin needles, inserted at specific points in the body, help to remove the blockages and restore normal energy flow which, for many people, assists the body's natural healing, builds energy and helps relieve pain.
Used alone or integrated with other treatments, acupuncture may provide relief for a variety of conditions:
- Chronic or acute pain such as muscle and joint pain or fibromyalgia
- Digestive problems such as nausea or gastritis
- Respiratory problems such as sinusitis or asthma
- Chronic fatigue syndrome
- Hot flashes and other menopause-related symptoms
- Irregular/painful periods and premenstrual syndrome
- Tension and stress-related problems
- Pain and anxiety with surgery, childbirth, physical therapy
- Nausea from anesthesia or chemotherapy
- Smoking cessation
While there is limited scientific research that proves the effectiveness of acupuncture for various conditions, many patients report improvement in their symptoms with acupuncture treatments. At Gundersen, acupuncture is conducted in a safe, medically supervised environment.
Acupuncture is offered at:
- Gundersen Viroqua Clinic
- Gundersen Lutheran Medical Center – Onalaska
To schedule an appointment, call (608) 637-3195.