Gundersen Health System provides hospice care for adults and pediatric end-of-life care. So often we hear, "I wish we had known about hospice sooner." Through Hospice services, Gundersen brings high quality care into the very place each patient feels most comfortable and secure: their home. When neither the hospital nor nursing home is the right place, home might be right for skilled medical care.
The hospice program is for patients who have had a physician certify a life expectancy of six months or less and who are no longer undergoing active treatment to cure their illness.
Certification and service area
The Gundersen Hospice program is Wisconsin and Minnesota state-licensed and Medicare/Medicaid certified. Medicare/Medicaid or private insurance services cover these services in most cases and the hospice team can assist with financial arrangements. No one will be refused services because of an inability to pay.
Hospice serves the following Wisconsin counties:
- La Crosse
Hospice serves the following Minnesota counties:
Primarily serving patients in their homes, Hospice is also available in several nursing homes, community-based residential facilities and assisted living facilities.
Often the best care for hospice patients is from family and friends. Hospice provides a team of dedicated professionals to help caregivers. The team includes:
- The patient's primary physician who provides ongoing medical support and care.
- A medical director who advises and coordinates care.
- Registered nurses who provide symptom management, pain relief, caregiver training and care for the patient.
- A social worker who provides resource coordination, financial information and short-term counseling.
- A chaplain who provides spiritual support.
- Home health aides who provide personal care, bathing and grooming.
- Trained volunteers who run errands, offer moral support and more.
- Registered dietitians who provide nutrition consultation.
- Physical, occupational, speech and music therapists are also available.
Gundersen's Hospice program not only provides services for the patient. They also provide training and support for the caregivers.