If you or someone you love needs heart surgery, you need to know all of your options. For your own peace of mind, get a second opinion from Gundersen Heart & Vascular Institute.
For example, you may be a candidate for a minimally invasive cardiac surgery (MICS). Gundersen Health System is one of only a handful of medical centers in the country to offer up to quadruple bypasses as well as heart valve repairs using MICS. Most heart surgery centers offer only the traditional long cut through the breast bone to open the chest and access the heart. While this approach remains a safe and effective option, MICS is also safe and effective and offers additional benefits to the right candidates.
MICS is performed through a small three- to four-inch incision between the ribs. The result is less pain and blood loss, shorter hospital stay, quicker recovery and smaller scar. A second opinion by a cardiothoracic surgeon can determine if MICS is right for you or your loved one.
With a second opinion comes peace of mind
Having more than one expert opinion can be especially beneficial if:
- You have a complex surgical case
- There are multiple options available
- Other health problems make your surgery riskier
- You’ve been told your condition is inoperable or there’s no other course of treatment
- You are particularly anxious about choosing the right treatment option
A second opinion is appropriate for diagnoses such as:
- Blockages in arteries of the heart, leg, neck or kidneys
- Heart valve repair or replacement
- Heart rhythm problems
- Closure/repair of heart defects
- Unresolved angina
- Varicose veins
A second opinion from our cardiac and vascular specialists of the Heart & Vascular Institute can provide answers to questions you might have, such as:
- "Do I really need the surgery my doctor recommended?"
- "Is there a newer or safer procedure or non-surgical option that may be right for me?"
- "Does my surgeon have the expertise, experience or good track record for the surgery I need?"
- "What can I expect after surgery?"