Also known to his patients and colleagues as Dr. Rabindra, he has been a cardiothoracic surgeon at Gundersen Health System since 2002. Always working on the cutting edge in his field, Dr. Rabindra was one of the first in the nation to learn and offer minimally invasive coronary artery bypass grafting (MICS-CABG).
Since 2009, Dr. Rabindra has successfully performed the procedure for more than 300 patients. Today, a third of all heart bypass surgeries at Gundersen are performed using MICS-CABG.
Patients have come from as far away as Georgia and Ohio to have MICS-CABG at Gundersen because Dr. Rabindra is one of only a handful of doctors who can do the procedure on up to four vessels in a single surgery. He has performed multiple-vessel bypasses on more than 175 patients. Using the minimally invasive surgical technique, he can also perform bypass in conjunction with other procedures such as valve surgery.
Dr. Rabindra now teaches and conducts educational lectures on the technique both nationally and internationally. Surgeons have come to Gundersen from across the U.S. and as far away as Colombia, Brazil, China and Japan to learn MICS. Dr. Rabindra is one of only three surgeons in North America who has the experience to teach the multi-vessel bypass technique.
He has earned the respect of his colleagues not only as a surgeon but as the medical chair for the department of Cardiothoracic Surgery at Gundersen Health System. In addition, Dr. Rabindra is:
- Board certified in general and thoracic surgery
- A fellow of the American College of Surgeons
- A member of the Society of Thoracic Surgeons and Society for Heart Valve Disease
- A member of International Society for Minimally Invasive Cardiothoracic Surgery
- A member of International Heart Valve Society
Dr. Rabindra is also proficient in:
- Heart valve repair and replacement using minimally invasive approaches
- Off-pump coronary bypass
- Complex aortic surgery including endovascular and hybrid approaches
- Video-assisted thorascopic surgery
- Ablation for atrial fibrillation