Gundersen Health System’s Exercise Physiology provides supervised and monitored exercise programs for people in the greater La Crosse area. We combine exercise, education and socialization in an effort to foster patient and family independence. Exercise physiologists work closely with your heart team, pharmacists and dietitians.
It is our goal to help people achieve and maintain their highest level of function and health. We do this in the safest environment possible with the guidance of professional staff and with quick access to the healthcare system.
Our Cardiac Rehab Center is on the 6th floor of the Medical Center. The friendly atmosphere and bright center provides a beautiful view of La Crosse and the river.
Services offered include:
- Cardiac Rehabilitation is offered to patients with a clinical diagnosis including, but not limited to, heart bypass surgery, heart attack, stable angina, angioplasty and stent placement.
- Phase I begins in the Hospital. It is a progression to low-level activity; education and preparation for going home is emphasized.
- Phase II starts as soon as you leave the Hospital. While the emphasis is on aerobic activity, it also includes muscle strengthening and flexibility. The need for monitoring is important to keep the staff and your physician aware of any changes that may occur. Focuses on education regarding risk factor modification and healthy lifestyles are provided for the patient and family.
- Movin’ and Improvin’ is a medically supervised exercise program that began in 1998. It is a safe and effective exercise program designed for people who have medical concerns such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, obesity, osteoarthritis, cardiovascular disease or just a sedentary lifestyle in general. There are 16 class times to choose from with each class running for one hour. Classes are offered at the La Crosse campus.
- Get Movin'…to Better Health is a 6-week educational fitness program intended for people with chronic conditions that limit their quality of life. We'll help you set program goals, establish a safe individualized exercise routine and learn how to exercise at home. Your blood pressure and heart rate will be monitored. A fitness assessment will be administered prior to beginning the exercise program. Learn more about Get Movin'.
- Pulmonary Rehabilitation is designed to meet the needs of patients with pulmonary disease, such as emphysema or COPD. It provides an atmosphere for supervised exercise training, respiratory care instruction, oxygen therapy, psychological support and education. Individualized care is provided through multidisciplinary teams.
- Tobacco cessation program “Journey to Freedom”
For more information and a full schedule of classes, call the Exercise Physiology department at (608) 775-2794.