Suffering with back or neck pain?
If you have back and/or neck pain, you are certainly not alone. Back pain is the number one reason people see a doctor. About 80 percent of all adults will experience back and neck pain severe enough to keep them from doing routine activities for at least one week.
There is help. Gundersen Health System offers a full spectrum of care. You might start with our innovative Back and Neck Self Care Plan. This free online tool has simple steps you can take on your own to improve back and/or neck pain. It includes a customized six-week plan with daily videos and exercises for spine strength and flexibility, written descriptions and tracking tools.
In some cases, talking to your doctor may be the next step. But most people can significantly improve or completely control symptoms by following the six-week plan. You can get started today at gundersenhealth.org/self-care.
At the other end of the spectrum, surgery may be your best option when:
- Your pain gets so bad that work, sleep, daily activities and your quality of life suffers.
- There's a clear cause for the pain.
- Your back and/or neck pain has not improved after three months or more of conservative, non-surgical treatments.
- You have neck and/or back pain along with numbness, tingling or weakness in your arm, leg or foot.
- You've been diagnosed with a herniated disc, cyst, stenosis or injury in your neck or back, and other treatments have not resolved your pain.
Gundersen board-certified neurosurgeons have the expertise to perform life-changing surgery. You might also consider a surgery consultation at Gundersen if you've been told you need back or neck surgery elsewhere, but you want a second opinion or you want to learn more about your options.
Gundersen offers other treatment options for back and neck pain as well, such as physical therapy, chiropractic care, pain medication or injections.
With the right treatment plan and the team of back pain specialists at Gundersen, we can help you improve function, reduce suffering and enhance your quality of life.
To schedule an appointment for a consultation about your back and neck pain, call Gundersen Neurosciences at (608) 775-9000.