Sit less, move more
Do you spend a lot of time during the day sitting? Many of us sit as we commute to work or school, we sit during the day, we sit during our meals and as we relax at night. Even if you exercise, it is important to keep your body moving throughout the day.
Moving more during the day can help improve your health in a variety of ways. You can be sedentary even if you exercise every day. Sedentary lifestyles are associated with obesity, type 2 diabetes and heart disease.
Add more movement into your day to day with these tips:
- Stand, march in place or walk around while talking on the phone.
- Get up from your desk to talk to your coworker instead of emailing or calling them.
- Drink water- Staying hydrated has many health benefits and if you are drinking enough water you will need to get up from your chair frequently to use the bathroom.
- Park your car in the back of the parking lot at the store or at work.
- Use public transportation, bike or walk where you are going. You will be more physically active and contribute to a better environment.
- Clean the house, do the dishes, fold the laundry. All of these activities contribute to a more active lifestyle.
- Take activity breaks while watching TV. Use commercials as a signal to get up and move! March or jog in place, hold a plank or do a few push-ups while you wait for your show to come back on.
- Choose to take the stairs over the elevator.