5 easy fitness tips for the New Year
If losing weight is your goal for the New Year, these fitness tips can help.
Most people know that exercise is a great way to keep their body healthy. Regular physical activity can also decrease stress, boost endorphins and strengthen the immune system. Just 30 minutes of physical activity several times a week will give your body a healthy boost.
Exercise can also help you to maintain or lose weight, which is perhaps the most popular New Year's resolution of all. If this is your year to get fit and stay fit, remember this: The key to long-term success for many people is to set achievable goals and keep the focus on fitness, not the scale.
Be sure to talk with your physician before you start any new exercise program.
5 Tips to Keep You Fit
1. Set goals you can keep: Your goals should be specific, measurable and realistic. For example, set a goal to run a 5K within six weeks.
2. Choose fun activities. The focus should always be on fun. Expand activities you already like, or make this the year you try something new. If you like to compete, sign up for a race. If you like to swim, join a pool club.
3. Work out with a friend. Get your friends and family involved. Or join a running or hiking group that meets on a regular basis. When you connect with like-minded individuals – and make it social – you are more likely to stay committed.
4. Add fitness to your calendar. Schedule fitness like you would any other important task. Once it's on your schedule, you can work your other activities around it. You will soon find that others respect your "fitness time" as a part of your day.
5. Keep track of your progress in a journal or app. Tracking can be especially helpful when you are starting a new fitness plan.