5 classes that put the fun in fitness
You won't feel like you're working out in these dance classes.
Looking for a way to have some fun while getting in some much needed physical activity? Try a dance class!
Dancing burns calories, increases endurance, strengthens muscles and can lower blood pressure. Not only is it good for your health, but dancing is so much fun you won't even realize you're getting in your daily workout.
From cardio barre to belly dancing, gyms and dance studios around the country are catering to all types of dance interests. In the process, they're providing loads of opportunities to fit fitness in your life in a way that is fun – and the key to sticking with an exercise routine is to find something you enjoy doing.
So if a dance party is your idea of a good time, you're sure to love this health-boosting activity. Just try one or more of these popular dance classes:
- Zumba: A mix of Latin and international music is what inspires easy-to-follow dance steps and body-sculpting movements that get your heart pumping and your body toned.
- Cardio Barre: This is a low-impact but high-intensity ballet-inspired workout that combines light weights and barre work to tone and strengthen your glutes, arms, legs and core while keeping your heart rate up.
- Cardio Belly Dance: Want to sweat your way to a more toned core and strengthen muscles you didn't even know you had? These classes combine upbeat music with a modern twist on basic moves from the ancient Middle Eastern art form.
- Hip-Hop or Funk: This high-energy dance workout incorporates the latest moves done in clubs and music videos with music that makes you want to move.
- Line Dancing: Line dancing is a group activity that has everyone dancing the same steps in sequence as they stand side by side. Steps are choreographed to select music, such as swing, country, hip-hop, Latin or other popular tunes, and are easy to follow.