Diabetic | Gluten Free | Heart Healthy
Warm up a chilly night with this easy chili recipe. It's made in one big pot and feeds a gang. It's so low calorie you can top it off with a small sprinkle of reduced fat cheddar cheese if you'd like.
- 2 lbs. 95% fat-free ground chuck
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 jalapeño peppers, seeded and chopped
- 4 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 2 cans (15 oz. each) no-salt-added kidney beans
- 2 cans (14½ oz. each) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (28 oz.) tomato purée
- 1 can (28 oz.) crushed tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce (gluten free if needed)
- 3 Tbsp. dark brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cayenne pepper, optional
- ⅓ cup ketchup (gluten free if needed)
- 1 cup water
In a large stockpot over medium-high heat, cook beef until browned. Drain beef and transfer to a bowl. Set aside.
In the same pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat until hot. Add onion, jalapeños and garlic and sauté until onion is softened, about 4 minutes.
Add reserved beef and remaining ingredients and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts per ¾-cup serving: 181 calories, 5g fat, 2g saturated fat, 43mg cholesterol, 472mg sodium, 18g carbohydrates, 4g fiber and 18g protein.