Mushroom bolognese with whole wheat pasta recipe
Makes 6 servings
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 1 large zucchini, finely chopped
- 8 ounces mushrooms, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup red cooking wine
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- ½ c. grated parmesan cheese
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- ½ tsp. pepper
- 1/8 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- Dash of nutmeg
- 4 ½ cups uncooked whole wheat rigatoni pasta
In a 6-qt. stockpot coated with cooking spray, heat oil over medium high heat. Add onion and carrots, cook until tender. Add zucchini, mushrooms, and garlic; cook and stir until tender. Stir in wine; bring to a boil and cook until liquid is almost evaporated.
Stir in crushed tomatoes and diced tomatoes, cheese, and seasonings. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until slightly thickened.
While mixture is simmering, cook rigatoni in another pot according to package directions; drain. Serve hot pasta with sauce.
Nutrition analysis per serving: 390 calories, 6 grams fat, 9 gram fiber, 14 grams protein, 64 grams carbohydrate, 831 mg sodium