Build a better breakfast
Step away from the pastries and cereal, we've got something better for breakfast!
You know what they say about breakfast being the most important meal of the day, right? Well, it is! Eating a well-balanced and nutritious breakfast sets the tone for what and how you eat for the rest of your day. Breakfast-eaters often perform better in work and school settings and have a lower BMI too. Breakfast is a great opportunity to capitalize on meeting your nutritional needs and start the day off right. The funny thing is, many of us don't prioritize eating breakfast and often end up scarfing down a quick bowl of cereal before running out the door.
Well, we've got you covered. Here are 10 breakfast ideas that will provide a more nutritional bang-for-your-buck and keep you satisfied until lunch. The best part? Every single one of these recipes takes 5 minute or less to make.
- Breakfast Banana Split: Take a ½ banana and split it in half lengthwise, spread with peanut butter and place in the bottom of a bowl or container with lid. Top with 6 oz. 0% plain Greek Yogurt. Add a sprinkle of canned pineapple tidbits and 2 sliced strawberries. Drizzle with 1 tsp. honey or maple syrup.
- Breakfast Burrito: In a microwave-safe bowl, beat 1 egg with 1 tsp. water or milk. Microwave on high for 30-50 seconds or until egg is fluffy. *Consider adding leftover veggies or chopped peppers and onions. Transfer to whole wheat tortilla, sprinkle with cheese, add salsa, roll up and enjoy!
- Blueberry Toast: Move over peanut butter and jelly! Toast 2 slices whole wheat bread. Top with nut butter and fresh sliced fruit. We love almond butter and fresh blueberries! Drizzle with honey and serve.
- Avocado Toast: Toast 2 slices whole wheat bread. In skillet, fry 2 eggs over-easy (or to your liking). Mash ½ medium avocado onto toast, top with cooked eggs, a dash of Sriracha and enjoy!
- Mocha Protein Shake: In blender, combine 1 frozen banana, ½ cup vanilla yogurt, ½ scoop protein powder, 1 Tbsp. cocoa powder, ½ cup cold or room-temperature coffee and ice. Blend and enjoy!
- Homemade Nut Butter: In food processor, process nuts until desired consistency is met. No oil needed! Just process until smooth. Nuts will go through 3 phases – (1) crumbly, (2) lumpy ball, (3) smooth. The longer you process, the smoother the butter. Breathe new life into toast, pancakes, muffins, waffles, etc. Refrigerate to preserve flavor and taste. No stirring required though it will get firm in the refrigerator.
- Bagel Breakfast Sandwich: Toast ½ whole wheat bagel. Meanwhile, in microwave-safe bowl, combine 1 egg and 1 tsp. milk or water, beat and cook on high 30-50 minutes or until fluffy. Place on toasted bagel. Top with sprinkle of cheese and a slice of tomato.
- On-the-go English Muffin Sandwich: Toast whole wheat English muffin. On microwave-safe plate, place 3 slices thin ham and 1 slice cheese on plate. Microwave 30-50 seconds or until hot. Place between English muffin halves.
- Carrot Cake Oatmeal: Place ½ cup rolled oats and ¾ cup milk in bowl. Microwave on high until cooked, approximately 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat. Add 1 Tbsp. maple syrup, 2 Tbsp. crushed pineapple, 1 Tbsp. raisins, 1 Tbsp. chia seeds, 1 tsp. cinnamon and a dash of nutmeg.
- Simple French Toast: Heat a small skillet. In small bowl, combine 1 egg with 2 Tbsp. milk, cinnamon and vanilla. Beat with fork. Dip one slice of bread into mixture coating both sides. Place on hot skillet. Cook 1-2 minutes on each side. Repeat with second slice of bread.