How to easily estimate portion sizes
This video will teach you tricks to recognize what a serving of your favorite foods like like.
Eating the right amounts of food is as important as eating the right kinds of food and can help you prevent diabetes, lower cholesterol and lose weight.
But do you know what a portion of your favorite food actually looks like?
This video will show you how to estimate a healthy portion of some popular foods even if you don't have measuring cups, spoons or a scale around. This can make it easier for you to "eyeball" the recommended serving size so you don't consume too many calories.
- Granola: 1/4 to 1/2 cup – about the size of a large egg
- Flaked cereal: 1 cup – about the size of a baseball
- Pasta: 1/2 cup – about the size of a tennis ball
- Meat: 3 ounces – about the size of a deck of cards
- Mashed potatoes: 1/2 cup – about the size of a computer mouse
- Rice: 1/2 cup – about the size of a cupcake wrapper